Sweet

I haven't blogged since March 2008. Not that I haven't had anything to say, it's just that with the whole pregnancy and motherhood thing my brain has been either non-functioning, or needed for trickier endeavors like trying to change a diaper while pinning flailing baby arms down to avoid a literal shit storm. Still, things are good. I like being a mom - it's a good gig.
I started back to work 3 weeks ago after 13.5 months of Materninty Leave. I miss Lil, of course, but for now I am enjoying novel things like drinking coffee when it's hot, sitting on chairs instead of crawling on the floor, and going pee with the door shut instead of singing "Old McDonald" through an open doorway to reassure Lil I haven't gone far. It's amazing the things Andrew and I took for granted when we were a coupple of D.I.N.Ks. Sleeping, uninterupted meals, the biggest concern being who had agreed to be the designated driver. Life was good back then. Life is good now. Great, even - but different. I remember eating lunch with colleagues before babies were on my list of to-dos and thinking wow, how much can these people talk about kids? Not as much as me, it turns out. Lil is my favorite subject, and I will discuss her at length. I just naturally assume everyone finds this sweet, silly creature as facinating as I do. I discuss her accomplishments, poop, eating habits and motion sickness with a sort of enthusiam I thought only existed for those crazed preteens who are obsessed with the Twilight series. And I've come to a realization that I am not this unique, hip mom, but a complete stereotype...house in the 'burbs, baby, designer dog, and a station wagon. Admitting it out loud is the first step towards acceptance. Good.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home