Baby lemme show you how to move this

OK, it's time. I need an outlet to rant, rave and otherwise say morally superior things...(deep breath). Let's do this
I am in Vegas, working. I foolishly booked my hotel 2.5 miles from the conference center where I spend my days, so I am doing a lot of walking. The thing with Vegas is that the traffic on Las Vegas Blvd (The Strip) is heavy, so they have escalators and walkways every few blocks so people can safely cross above the traffic, since we've now conditioned ourselves as a society to hate waiting at street lights, and playing Frogger to get across ASAP. Anyway.......my thoughts on escalators is they they are a means to make you go faster. Moving Stairs! Brilliant, n'est pas?! You climb, it helps you with the ascent...great! WRONG. Somewhere along the way, able bodied people everywhere have designated escalators as a slow moving amusement park ride. GACK! It's awful!Instead of assisting us in getting where we want to go at a reasonable pace, we just stop completely and let the stairs do the climbing for us. C'mon folks!! We're all able bodied, are we not? I try to politely excuse myself as I do my climb on the escalators, but most people won't even move for me. Apparently trying to use escalators as stairs identifies you as a reeeeeeeeeeeal A-hole. Well...in this case... perhaps the shoe fits, since I am blogging about it. This week to get to my courses I had to take 2 sets of 2-storey escalators (and yes, where available I'll take the stairs instead). NO ONE moved on the escalators. It was maddening (Authors Note: yes, I realize I am tired and cranky and overreacting, but it's my blog and I wanna). At one point, to amuse myself on the slow, slow descent with a bunch of 20-somethings who look like they work-out daily I started saying Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee softly to myself. I didn't make too many friends this week.
In other news Andrew and I get Dexter this weekend! Dexter, if you haven't heard me go onandonandon about it is our puppy. I can't wait!
Happy 30th to Nicole, 58th to Mom, 29th (again) to Andrea and 45 (again) to Andrews mom.
Finally - it's NASCAR week, or weekend here in Vegas, and the streets are overflowing with folks wearing team car jackets, logo shirts, etc. There's a lot of rivalry going on too. I was crossing a walkway towards my hotel when a lady yells "Go Jeff Gordon!" to which a couple behind me exclaims "We piss on Jeff Gordon". Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

9 Comments:
Well here's my take on Escalators. They were created so that people don't have to walk up the stairs. If it was simply to help people move faster there would be more moving sidewalks than there are. I think that sometimes it's OK to take it easy and slow down let the escalator do the work. Perhaps they too were walking alot and wanted to take a break on the way up so they can walk for longer and do more.
... Nascar weekend?? You seriouslyneed to pick better locations for swans. It's the first race of the Formula 1 season.. a time for a bottle of Moet & Chandon at 6 am when the race starts in Bahrain.... and let's face it, for you girls, guys with names like Fernando are so much cuter than guys with names like Dale and Marty... and I'm not even a girl.
EXCUSE ME! I believe you have plagiarized directly from my various rants over the years. I am shocked and dismayed! However, I'm a little pleased to see that despite the fact that I have moved halfway across the country my tirades live on in your head. I will be contacting my lawyers regarding this blatant use of my copywrited complaints. Prepare for heavy royalty fees.
Jenn
Tee hee! Just checking to see if you still read these, Squikers. Sadly, the world will never see things this way. I blame you for putting this hate in my head anyway - it's used to be merely an annoyance that I couldn't walk up/down escalators due to the stalled humans, but now it's since turned into a maniacal rant once my misery found even crazier company :-)
KB
Escalators are to be used to move the hugely obese from one floor to the other when the elevators are simply too far away to waddle to. The sooner you get that, the happier you'll be.
Kelly says: I once worked for a company who hosted an event in San Jose. Off the main hotel Entrance was an escalator that took people almost directly to the meeting room I had rented. The escalator wasn't working, but attendees still had access to them to use as regular stairs. Almost half of the 100 attendees opted to walk halfway down a hallway to the elevators and then double-back on the 2nd floor to the event room. What's funny is that they probably ended walking twice as much than if they had at just used the stairs. I even heard one guy say when leaving "let's take the elevator, since the stairs are still broken".
This feeds my disdain for people-movers, and our alarming dependancy on them
Yeah, what next?! Metal cages with wheels that propel us at speeds twenty times faster than walking? ... wait, I guess we have that already.
Technology is kee-razy, and culture of sloth is a deep-seated one.
- P
Pathetic... no new stuff to pick on in over a month... Slacker!!
C'mon now... get yer bloggin' arse in gear! I demand fresh and witty content!
Post a Comment
<< Home