Monday, August 15, 2005

These are the people in my neighborhood


Hooo boy! I have to shake my head at some of the people I work with. I would like to think that we're a fairly intellectual bunch, but I've seen signs recently that while there may be quite a few "school smart" people in this building, there are a few folks who are socially retarded.

About a month ago in the cafeteria I was putting 2 pieces of whole wheat bread into the industrial toaster when one of the staff propped a sign up next to it. Naturally curious I read it, and was taken aback to see it said "Due to fire hazard, please do not put buttered bread into the toaster". I inquired as to why such a sign could be required when it seems very intuitive that you do not butter your bread until after it has been toasted. A half-hearted smile was offered my way by said cafeteria worker who explained it HAS HAPPENED MORE THAN ONCE, and thus the sign seemed to be required....sigh...

Today in the lounge I was getting a glass of water and noticed a new sign next to the coffee mug washer. First of all, for those who don't know what a coffee washer is, it's like a mini dishwasher for mugs...Anyway...today there is a sign above the machine asking people not to wash their food in there anymore. What the f*&$?! This thing sprays industrial strength soap at high velocity into coffee mugs...what would make anyone believe it's a safe, natural way to wash food? What kind of people don't know this stuff? Am I going to go into the ladies room some day and see signs saying "please don't wash hands in toilet?.

This troubles me.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's OK Kelly. All my pregnant friends always complain about things like this at the 2 month stage. Luckily, you'll start getting this really healthy glow soon and forget all about it.

10:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should see the signs in the mens' room: "the chalk was not provided to mark distance" and "toiler paper should not be reused".
-- NE corner cohort

11:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I. Am. Not. Pregnant.

And I thank you not to refer to my vacation weight-gain as having any child-bearing resemblances ;-)

KB

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toasting the bread with a light spreading of butter makes for a nice golden texture similar to say Grill Cheese Sandwich.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kelly, we doth think you protest(eth?) too mucheth.

Let's look at the facts.

1) I don't take crap from any man attitude. Ok, this isn't new.

2) The new "soccer mom" haircut.

3) The gleam in Andrew's eye says it all.

P.S. I'm too much of a gentleman to comment on any supposed wait gain, or even admit that I have before and after pictures on my computer to compare. They're purely platonic. Honest!

Not Patrick.

12:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone from this list is going to have to call my mom and break the news that we are not having a baby. She's called me all excited and I could't break her heart.

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Kelly, always getting picked on. I am just glad you have decided to pop one out to take the grandkid stress off your sister and her amazingly good-looking husband. Thanks for taking one for the team Kel.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home