Plane Jane...the trials and tribulations of a devoted daughter
The long weekend has came and went and people are happily filling each other in on the details of adventures had, alcohol consumed, and time not missed from the office. So too, shall I. Canada Day started early at Casa Belo this year, as I was excited to board a plane to the homeland to see my family, as it's been half a year since I've been back. So excited, was I, that I woke up at 3am and could not go back to sleep. Not knowing what to do to occupy my time until we could leave for the airport (a mere 2.5 hours later) I logged onto work (2 points to make here - yes, I am a complete bore, and thanks to Mr. T for being to work already so I had someone responding to my emails). Moving right along...
Our flight was slightly delayed but we were in the air by 7:20am. Smooth sailing! Our flight was uneventful until our first attempt to land was aborted at what seemed to be the absolute last second, and we shot back into the blue yonder at an alarming angle and speed. Babies cried, men screamed (maybe a couple ladies too), and I soiled myself (no I didn't, but I wanted to see if you're following along closely). After a few tense moments the captain explained that the attempt to land had been abandoned due to low lying storm cells and visibility issues. We would wait out the weather in the friendly skies in a holding pattern and make another attempt if the weather improved. Having watched Die Hard II every year since it's release I am quite aware that a holding pattern and semi-believable explanations are the captains way of saying we're effing goners, folks!! Anyway..I am rambling.
We made another equally frightening and ineffective attempt at landing before heading to Moncton to refuel and sit on the tarmac while the weather in Hali cleared. Ahhh...Moncton - the city of water slides and magnetic inclines - don't I feel welcome!! By this time it's noon, a full 2.5 hours past when we should have arrived and we're hungry and anxious for info on getting to our final destination. The info comes 4 hours later, and the food never does. Our flight is cancelled and we're to leave for Ottawa shortly. An uproar occurs with the passengers (who've all been sitting on the plane for 9 hours)...threats are uttered, feces is thrown, tears are shed...a real gong show!! Actually, everyone handled it well, but that's not terribly entertaining, is it? I digress...So anyway...it is decided that given our proximity to the Halifax airport (2 + hours drive) and the fact that it's the holiday weekend, passengers could deplane and make their own arrangements to get to Nova Scotia. Brilliant! Everything works out then, doesn't it? Well, not just yet.
Like I said, we were welcome to deplane but we could not reclaim our checked baggage. When we found out the flight was completely full in Ottawa we decided foolishly to check our carry-on suitcase, so not to be hassled trying to cram it into an overhead compartment. Clever....it had our medications, spare clothes, etc. Not good!! So, we called my family to say we would return to Ottawa afterall, as we'd have nothing with us for the 4 day trip. In case you were wondering, it is indeed possible to hear someone's heart break over a crackling cell phone connection. And so a change of heart occurred and belongings be damned we were getting off the plane. My pops drove another 2 hours to get us (our knight in shiny taurus) and then another 4 hours to the homeland. We got in around 10pm...a full 12.5 hours after we were scheduled to land. And had a fantastic weekend, filled with Andrew's (now) famous blended Vase drinks, Lussel the puppy, and a less eventful flight home.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home